Are You Freaking Out About Leaving Your Current Duty Station?

So for the longest, I've been nagging the hubby about next year when his tour here at Ft. Stewart is officially up and he'll get orders to either stay or relocate to a new duty station. I've been asking him for the longest about applying for stabilization (when my dad served, you could apply for stabilization at a specific base for one reason or another and your superior officers would do what they could to honor that request. This helped when you had school-age kids or lived close to family or just really liked your current base). Apparently, now, the process for stabilization is a lot more complicated than it used to be. For one you have to be of higher rank than the hubby currently is to even be considered for the process. So that's off the table, BUT I told him he could at least request to stay here for three more years because the only thing they can say is "No". His response? "I know, but I don't want to get your hopes up".

Okay, so I'm by no means the perfect wife. I'll admit, I snapped back a little bit. I, being 26 not 6 understand that we don't always get what we want and that sometimes when we ask for something, we don't always hear the answer we'd like to hear. That aside, I had to admit one thing. He's kind of right. 

I looove it here at Fort Stewart. If you already live here or you're PCSing here and have looked up our base online, you may have heard a lot of the negative already. But let me be the first to tell you, Fort Stewart is not that bad of a base. We're within an hour and 1/2 of glorious beaches in whichever direction you drive. And we're less than an hour from historic Savannah, known not only for being one of the scariest cities in the country, but also for being one of the most picturesque cities in the southern United States.

For me, though, what makes this base so special is proximity to family. I'm definitely a big family gal and I love that my folks are right up the street, while his are only about two hours away. And we've built a life here! I have my awesome job, great friends, and we actually just bought our first home last year.

I suppose these are thoughts similar to those every military wife has at one particular duty station or another. How do you get through it? I'm reminded of a quote from a book I read while in school, "Women will do whatever they have to do". And I guess that's pretty accurate, not just for us ladies but for humans in general. We'll request to stay here and pray our butts off that its granted, but there's definitely no guarantee. So the only thing left to do is enjoy our time here while we can and prepare ourselves for the possibility that we'll have to leave soon.

I want to hear from you! Which was your hardest base to leave? How did you cope?

Hinesville Lifestyle
What to do (still plenty of time to purchase tickets!)

Follow Me!

Comments

  1. Hi Britney it's maddy from the MILSO Blogging network! Just wanted to let you know that I nominated you for the Liebster award! xoxo http://mediajunkiejungle.com/2015/01/27/libester-award-x4/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it here at Fort Stewart too! We can't get enough of Savannah and the beach and all the restaurants! Plus, I love winters in the south!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No matter what station you are at or going to, try to find something about it that will help you to smile about being a part of it. It's a great big world out there ready for us to explore and possibly make it better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Patrena, that's awesome advice(: my thing is I'm cool with traveling to other places, I just always like a quiet, familiar place to come back to. Definitely have to get over that being a military wife lol

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I want to know what you think!

Popular Posts