What's So Hard About Maintaining a Healthy Lifestyle?

So today marks Day 5 of my healthy-eating/ working out journey. Honestly, this is probably the third or fourth time this year that I've started this journey so here's hoping it sticks. The hardest part for me is consistency. A couple of years ago, I lost about 34 lbs over about five months. I worked out twice a day during the week and ate under a specific amount of calories (I used the Livestrong app to calculate my allowance) and it worked out beautifully. Fast forward to earlier this year; I was back up about 10 lbs and couldn't stick to any kind of plan for longer than a few weeks.

It's important to mention that last time, I didn't really have a lot going on. And I'm not being funny, I had just moved back here so I didn't really know anyone accept my family. Had just gotten my real estate license, but my duties weren't exactly defined so I wasn't nearly as busy as I am now. Today, I've got the new hubby, a fast-paced and demanding (but rewarding!) work load, people to meet up with, you know, the things that constitute an actual life(: So I just don't have the time to dedicate to it like I did a few years ago.

HOWEVER, I feel like being more realistic about my roadblocks and limitations will actually have a positive effect on my overall results. Instead of worrying about calories, I'm focusing on portion sizes and the kind of food I'm eating (trying to cut back on eating out so much and those little frozen meals that I used to love). Working out twice a day is probably not going to happen as often as I'd like it either (I'd much rather spend the evenings drinking wine and watching bad tv with the hubby) so I give it my all in the mornings when I do work out and I keep the wine down to a few glasses a week. Also trying to drink plenty of water and get at least eight hours of sleep at night (now that's a real struggle, who the heck goes to bed before 10?).

As far as my workouts, right now I've got a couple different programs in rotation, the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred, random online HIIT workouts, and a new one that just arrived in the mail yesterday, Turbo Fire (HINT: if you're thinking about trying it, DEFINITELY check out the introductory video first. Some of those moves are complicated!). I'm also a member of a private accountability group on Facebook (I figure this blog can help keep me accountable too!).

For anyone looking to start a specific program or just to make a lifestyle change, my advice is to give it time. It takes time to make a big change permanent and sometimes you'll have setbacks (just the other day, I consumed the biggest piece of homemade carrot cake I'd ever seen. I felt bad, but it sure was good!) but you can't let them discourage you. My accountability coach encourages us to go by the 80/20 rule. Eat right and workout 80% of the time; the other 20% give yourself a break. So I'll keep at it, and YOU keep at it and let's keep each other updated. Good luck!

Who the heck is this chick?

Where to eat (HINT: the margaritas are out of this world!)
What to do
Where to live


  1. It is very difficult to maintain healthy living. I find myself going back and forth (healthy vs unhealthy) and up and down (weight wise). It seems the hardest to get back on the horse, the longer you've been off. Whats weird for me is how I eat less when its unhealthy... what's up with that?

  2. Yes definitely the hardest when you've been off the wagon for a while. I have the opposite issue, if it's unhealthy, I can't get enough (ESPECIALLY if it's sweets)


Post a Comment

I want to know what you think!

Popular Posts