Homemade Apple Cake!

Okay, so a few posts before, I told you guys about the enormous box of gala apples we got from Bountiful Baskets. Believe it or not, they're still taking up space in my fridge (they actually keep pretty well as long as they stay cold!), so a few days ago, I decided to do something about that. I found this recipe on Pinterest, made a few adjustments and voilá! Homemade fresh apple cake!

 

We weren't really doing anything that night, so the hubby participated. Chopped apples, pulled all my ingredients, etc. I'd forgotten how much I enjoy baking/ cooking with him; we'll have to do it more often.

Helpful hint: It took about 4 apples to get 3 cups. The hubby chopped small-medium pieces




So we followed the recipe pretty closely minus a few changes. No pecans; I have this really weird thing about mixing textures, I don't usually like crunch and soft in the same dessert dish (I'm a strange cookie, I know it). Also, we only let the cake cool for about 20-30 minutes versus the two hours that the recipe requires. Mostly because we had run out of patience! This resulted in the icing kind of soaking into the top layer of the cake which was AMAZING. So, if you want your icing to actually sit on top of the cake, I'd say let it cool fully. But it's preference NOT necessity.


One change we did consider making was using just plain old milk instead of evaporated milk. I found some interesting articles online about how to evaporate your own milk, but in the end, the hubby watched the cake while I ran to IGA and grabbed a few cans of Carnation. (If you have experience evaporating your own milk, PLEASE share below in the comments, I'm interested to hear about it!)





The recipe also calls for a 9'13 inch pan. I don't know about you, but I NEVER follow this part of a recipe. I typically just grab whatever I've got in the pantry and go with that. The mixture was so thick, we ended up with two separate cakes, the second of which I took to work the next day. It was a hit and devoured within about an hour!


What's your favorite Fall dessert recipe? Tell me below!


Hinesville Lifestyle
Where to live
What to do (super cool give-away! Be there or be square!)
Where to eat (Southern food at its absolute BEST)

Follow Me!
Live_Love_24
LiveLoveArmy24




Comments

  1. Sounds wonderful and how wonderful that you spent time together baking. I found you via the Milspouse Bloggers Monthly Roundup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment and for tracking me down lol. Yeah we had a lot of fun with the cake. I told him we need to do it more often(:

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I want to know what you think!

Popular Posts