Healthy Options Right Here in Hinesville!

So let me start out by saying, yes, there is a Whole Foods in Savannah and yes, it is amazing. Organic veggies and fruits, a well stocked bakery, and these awesome cheddar stuffed burgers that the hubby and I are addicted to. HOWEVER, you don't have to drive all the way to Savannah to find healthy and interesting things to eat. Besides the usual suspects (Walmart, Kroger, Food Lion, the Commissary, blah blah blah) there's the Farmers Market that meets downtown every Thursday and the Bountiful Baskets program with new baskets available every other Saturday.


Note, the Farmers Market is available every year from March to October so if you're reading this outside of that timeline, you'll have to wait a while. I've heard great things about the market (one of the girls that works the front desk in my office raves about it) but I've never gotten the chance to go. Somehow every Thursday, I'm either showing, still at the office, or otherwise engaged.

I have, however, had tons of experience with Bountiful Baskets. You sign up online for free, and every other week (Hinesville is A week and there are two pick-up locations) you choose and pick up your basket and add-ons. And there are seriously a ton of options. Juicy strawberries, peaches, apples, fresh soft bread, these awesome juice packs that would impress even the most discerning juicer. And all for way less per lb than you'd pay at the grocery store (they even have organic options). One of my favorites is the whole grain bread but then again, I am a carbaholic so I'm probably a little biased.

I went two Saturdays ago (pics below) and found out that they'd since opened a Richmond Hill location. So if you're stationed at Fort Stewart but live in Richmond Hill and want to take advantage, you're in luck. Those still going to the VA Medical Center location, make sure to get there right on time; they've been getting a smaller amount of baskets because of the new location so they tend to break down less quickly. There wasn't even a line when I went.

So what to do with all that produce, you ask? A lot of times, I go in with my mom or grandma on a basket and add-ons just because there's so much of everything. For example, the last time I went, I got 28lbs of gala apples. One of the volunteers wanted to know what I was going to do with all those apples. I have NO IDEA. I do juice what I can (you'd be surprised at what makes a good smoothie or morning juice). And I'm using those tomatoes and peppers for pizza toppings and homemade salsa. Planning on grilling the eggplant later this week with some grilled salmon. Luckily, the hubby is addicted to his new grill and will throw just about anything on it. A friend that works at my office cans a lot of her produce. Every once in a while, she'll bring us these awesome preserves to spread on the bread. It's heaven, I promise.

Basically, the Bountiful Baskets program allows the hubby and I to eat healthy and try recipes and foods we wouldn't have normally eat. For example, one weekend, we got persimmons. They were soft, sweet, and awesome in juice. So check them out. And if you end up with too much, you know were to find me. Just saying.


Hinesville Lifestyle
Where to eat (organic, natural goodness!)
What to do
Where to live

Follow Me!

@Live_Love_24
LiveLoveArmy24

Comments

Popular Posts